Cool things to know about your contents cover

Insurance 101 | April 2019

We get it. Life is busy. You don’t remember what you’re covered for with your contents insurance. We’re here to help.

When it comes to contents insurance with State there’s two types:

  • Contents Essentials is the budget friendly cover - ideal when you want a basic level of cover to protect most of your personal stuff in case of specific events like fire, storms and theft from a break-in.
  • Contents Comprehensive is just that – a wide level of cover providing replacement cover (new item when not repairable) on most of your personal stuff.

Our comprehensive contents insurance is the most popular. Here are a few of our comprehensive contents cover benefits you might not know about.*

Cover for food spoilage

A power cut or an appliance breaking down can be a real pain – even worse if it’s your fridge or freezer. Never fear, if this happens and your food is spoiled, you can claim for the reasonable cost of replacing your spoiled food on your contents cover. We’ll even pay reasonable costs to clean your fridge and freezer too.

Transit and storage cover

Moving house can be stressful. State’s here to help lighten the load by covering your stuff while it’s in transit for specified events. Plus, if you’re going to be storing stuff, you’re covered for that too for specified events – just make sure you check in with us first.

Temporary accommodation

Even more stressful is if a covered loss means you can’t live in your home and you have to pay rent for temporary alternative accommodation. We’re here to relieve the stress by covering the reasonable accommodation costs for you, your family and your pets. We’ll even pay to move your stuff to your temporary accommodation or to a secure storage facility, as well as the cost of moving them back home when things are all sorted.

No excess for spectacles and more

If you’re over 55 and you claim for spectacles, contact lenses, dentures, or hearing aids, you won’t pay an excess. That’ll make the loss a bit more bearable.

No excess for a total loss

Should the worst happen, and you must claim for a total loss of all your stuff, you won’t pay an excess. Hopefully this never happens to you, but that’s why you’ve got contents insurance, right?

Save with your contents insurance

Did you know if you’ve got contents insurance and one other qualifying policy with us you can get a multi-policy discount of up to 10% on all your policies+? Even better, if you have your home and contents insured with us you can get up to 15% off with a HomePack policy.+ Nice!

To find out more about our contents cover options visit

*This information is intended as a guide only. There are exclusions and limits to the cover we provide so for the Contents Comprehensive policy wording, click here.

+You can get a multi-policy discount of up to 10% if you have a contents and one other eligible policy. You can also get a linked policy discount of up to 5% when you insure your home and contents at the same address with a HomePack policy. Discounts apply to the base premium amount (or the net base premium amount after any other discount(s) have been deducted) and not to government levies, GST or optional extensions. General policy terms and conditions, and underwriting criteria apply.

Our phone lines are much busier than usual, so there may be a long wait.

Did you know you can pay, claim, cancel, and more online? View all online options.

Alternatively, talk to Sam, our Chatbot, who can help with simple insurance questions.