Heading out to party this weekend? Safety may not be your first thought when you come to planning your night, but here are some tips to keep yourself safe when you’re out on the town.
Before you go
Packing and preparing well for a night out is a great start. Think about what you want to take and how you’re going to look after it while you’re out. Here are some tips:
- Pack only what you need. You don’t want to be lugging extra stuff around that you don’t need, and it just means more stuff to look after instead of enjoying yourself. So keep any items you don’t need at home and just take the essentials.
- Get your charge on. Make sure you’ve got a full charge on your phone before you head out so you can keep in contact with your friends and call a taxi for a ride home if need be.
- Sober driver or taxi? Know how you’re getting to and from the clubs. Do you have a responsible sober driver? Or are you going to grab a taxi there and back? Don’t leave it up to maybe’s. If you’re getting a cab, make sure you’ve got the number saved in your phone.
At the clubs
You’ve arrived! No doubt you’re ready to groove, but keep in mind these tips:
- Be drink-aware. Always keep an eye on your drink and don’t put it down anywhere, even if you’re just going to the toilet. Even soft drinks can be spiked and it can happen in a blink of an eye.
- Safety in numbers. Don’t lose sight of your friends. Make sure you all know where each other are and if you do end up losing each other, set a meeting point before hand.
- Keys please. It may be a pain to carry your keys around, but having a jangle of keys in your bag can come in handy. If you’re down a dingy alleyway or withdrawing money from an ATM and feel uncomfortable, place one key between each finger and clench those key chains tight in your palm – hello Wolverine.
- Keep your bag on you. Keep your bag and personal items on you at all times, the clubs and town are a breeding ground for thieves. Remember, if you have contents insurance with State, your stuff is covered inside and outside of the house, so if something does happen to it, we’ll get you sorted.
A night out can be easily ruined by an injury or other dangers. Keep yourself safe while having a great time.
- Wear those comfortable shoes. You may want to put on those magical shoes, but if they cause you discomfort, there’s a high chance of injuring yourself and getting sore feet. Swap them out for more comfy shoes and party the night away!
- Keep your guard up. Keep an eye out for your friends. They’ll be thankful if you help get them out of sticky situations, and they’d do the same for you.
- Keep hydrated. Alcoholic beverages can make you dehydrated, so remember to drink some water every now and then. Not only will you wake up with less of a headache, but you’ll be able to dance the night away.
Staying safe while you’re out on the town is easy, and everyone benefits from it. Have fun and remember to keep an eye out for yourself and your friends.