- Sudden and accidental loss or damage to your boat
- We’ll cover your boat if it’s suddenly and accidentally damaged or stolen up to the amount it is insured for.
If your boat is accidentally damaged but can be repaired, we’ll arrange to have it fixed for you or we’ll pay you the cost of getting it repaired.
If it’s not worth repairing or if your boat is stolen and not recovered, we’ll pay you either the amount you had it insured for or its market value at the time. We may keep the boat and retain the salvage.
- Sails, outboard motors and protective covers
- We cover these items for their market value - in other words what they were worth just before they were damaged.
- Fishing, diving and water skiing gear
- We’ll cover fishing, diving and water skiing equipment up to the sum they’re insured for as long as you're not using them at the time.
- Certain personal effects
- Some of your personal belongings such as clothes, iPods and cameras are covered while they’re on your boat for their value or the sum insured (whichever is less).
- Cost of preventing damage to your boat
- This cover is for costs you incur trying to prevent or minimise damage that’s covered by this policy, or in replenishing/replacing safety flares or fire extinguishers that you used while trying to minimise any damage.
- Towing costs
- If your boat breaks down while it is afloat, we’ll pay up to $500 to get it towed to the nearest repairer.
- Personal liability protection for damage and injury you cause
- We’ll cover your legal liability up to $2,000,000 if you accidentally damage someone else’s property or injure someone when you’re using your boat. Provided they’re approved in advance by us, we’ll also cover certain costs of your legal defence.
This cover extends to anyone else using your boat if you gave them permission to use it, if they don’t have any other insurance that might apply and they meet the same terms of this policy as you.
- More about our Boat insurance
- Salvage expenses
If you have to salvage your boat because of an event covered under the policy, we’ll pay the costs of getting the boat to the nearest repairer. You won’t have to pay any excess either.
Raising and removal expenses
If you’re instructed to raise or remove your boat by a statutory authority we’ll pay the costs.
If the boat is irreparable we’ll pay up to 10% of the amount it’s insured for to get it to a disposal site.
Transport costs for you and your family
If you're left stranded as a result of an event covered by the policy, we’ll pay up to $250 per person ($1,000 in total) to get you and your family home or to your nearest destination.
Cost of attending court proceedings
We’ll provide up to $100 per day or $1,500 in total for expenses if you, your partner or a family member has to attend court proceedings in connection with a loss to your boat that’s covered by this policy.
We provide up to $5,000 to cover legal expenses for you or a family member if you have to defend a charge of manslaughter in connection with your use of your boat or any other boat that you had permission to use.
The most we’ll pay for any event is the market value of your boat or the sum it was insured for.
- Download a copy of our Boat insurance policy
- Download a copy of our Boat insurance policy.
- Optional extra cover for yachts
- This covers damage to your boat’s sails, masts, spars or rigging while you’re racing your yacht.
This information is intended as a guide only. There are exclusions and limits to the cover we provide. For the policy wording see our Boat insurance policy (PDF).