- Sudden and accidental damage to your home
- We'll pay for accidental loss or damage to your property, up to the Home Sum Insured amount specified on your policy schedule.
- Temporary accommodation if you can’t stay at home
- If you can’t live in your home because of a loss covered by this policy, we'll pay for accommodation for you, your family and your pets while your home's being repaired.
- $250 excess on claims for windows and certain fixtures
- You will have to pay an excess of $250 when claiming for things like a broken window, toilet bowl or fixed glass lampshade.
For belongings like books, clothing, computer software and camping equipment that are covered for their present value, we’ll either pay the cost of repairing them to the condition they were in before the loss, or we’ll pay you what they were worth.
There are limits to the cover we offer for valuable objects like cameras, surfboards, bicycles and jewellery but you can arrange a higher level of cover by specifying these items in your policy.
- Hidden gradual damage from leaking water in certain circumstances
- We cover up to $2,500 a year for hidden gradual damage to your home. This is hidden rot, mildew, or deterioration caused by water leaking from an internal water pipe or tank, while you’re living in the home. For example, water leaking from a hot water cylinder or pipes in the walls.
This doesn’t apply where:
- The house is tenanted or vacant
- Water has leaked from another source, for example the roof or guttering, or a washing machine or dishwasher
- The damage is not hidden.
- Replacement of keys and locks
- We'll pay up to $500 to replace the locks or equivalent devices if your keys are lost or stolen, including the keys to a safe or strong-room.
- Personal liability for damage to other property
- We'll cover your legal liability if you accidentally damage someone else's property or injure somebody, and it is caused by or in connection with ownership of the home. Provided you check with us first, we may also cover your legal fees.
- Intentional damage
- We'll cover your home if it is damaged by a fire or explosion that's intentionally caused by a tenant or someone living in your home other than you, your partner or a family member.
- More about home comprehensive insurance
- Stress payment
If your home is completely destroyed we’ll pay you $1,000 to compensate you for stress. You can spend this on whatever you want.
- Is your Sum Insured correct?
- From now on, the way State insures your home is going to be different. When your home insurance renews, your home will shift from being insured for an unspecified replacement cost to being insured for up to a maximum specified amount. This amount is called a Home Sum Insured.
Find out more at need2know.org.nz.
- Download our home comprehensive insurance policy
- Download our home comprehensive insurance policy.
This information is intended as a guide only. There are exclusions and limits to the cover we provide. For the policy wording see our
Comprehensive Home Insurance policy (PDF) or View our online brochure (PDF)