- Sudden and accidental damage to your home
- We'll cover your home for loss or damage caused by a range of events that are identified in the policy. These include fire, earthquake, storm or flood, landslip, theft from forced entry, vandalism and the impact of a vehicle.
- Your home is covered for its present value
- When we accept your claim, we'll either pay you the value of the damaged part of your home or repair your home to the condition it was in before the loss. We'll also cover professional fees and compliance costs.
- Intentional damage caused by a resident
- If a tenant or anyone else who lives at your home other than you, your partner or a family member intentionally causes a fire or explosion, we'll cover the damage.
- Liability for damage to other property
- We'll cover your legal liability if you accidentally damage someone else's property or injure somebody, and it is caused by or in connection with ownership of the home. Provided you check with us first, we may also cover your legal fees.
- Is your Sum Insured correct?
- From now on, the way State insures your home is going to be different. When your home insurance renews, your home will shift from being insured for an unspecified replacement cost to being insured for up to a maximum specified amount. This amount is called a Home Sum Insured.
Find out more at need2know.org.nz.
- Download our home essentials insurance policy
- The above information is intended as a guide only. There are exclusions, limits and conditions to the cover provided. Download or view the policies here:
Home essentials insurance policy
This information is intended as a guide only. There are exclusions and limits to the cover we provide. For the policy wording see our Home Essentials Insurance policy (PDF) or View our online brochure (PDF)