- Sudden and accidental damage to your home and belongings
- We cover your home and its contents for sudden and accidental damage up to their respective Sum Insured amounts.
We’ll repair or rebuild your home up to the Home Sum Insured. If we determine it’s not economically viable to repair your home there are other options available. You can choose to rebuild on the same or a different site. You can also choose to buy another home or agree to a cash payment.
We’ll also repair or replace all your belongings as if they were new, except the items specified in the policy as being covered for present value only. For those items, we’ll either pay the cost of repairing them or we’ll pay you what they were worth before the loss.
- Temporary accommodation
- If you can’t live in your home because of a loss covered by this policy, we’ll pay for accommodation for your family and your pets while your home is being repaired.
We’ll also pay to move your belongings to your temporary accommodation or to a secure storage facility, as well as the cost of moving them back home when the time is right.
- Hidden gradual damage from leaking water in certain circumstances
- We cover up to $2,500 a year for hidden gradual damage to your home. This is hidden rot, mildew, or deterioration caused by water leaking from an internal water pipe or tank, while you’re living in the home. For example, water leaking from a hot water cylinder or pipes in the walls.
This doesn’t apply where:
- The house is tenanted or vacant
- Water has leaked from another source, for example the roof or guttering, or a washing machine or dishwasher
- The damage is not hidden.
- Belongings while they’re in storage or transit
- We'll cover your belongings while in transit to your new home.*
If you are storing your belongings in commercial storage facility we'll cover you for up to six months, provided we have approved the storage arrangements.*
*Cover is for defined events only.
- Intentional damage
- We'll cover your home and belongings if they're damaged by a fire or explosion that's intentionally caused by a tenant or someone living in your home other than you, your partner or a family member.
- More about HomePack comprehensive insurance
- $250 excess applies to claims for windows and fixtures
You will have to pay an excess of $250 when claiming for things like a broken window, toilet bowl or fixed glass lampshade.
Replacement of keys and locks up to $500
We’ll replace the locks or equivalent devices if your keys are lost or stolen, including the keys to a safe or strongroom.
Home office contents up to $7,500
If you have an office at home, we’ll cover loss or damage to the furniture and equipment as long as you own it and use it for your business. If you take the furniture and equipment somewhere else, the limit does reduce significantly.
- Is your Sum Insured correct?
- From now on, the way State insures your home is going to be different. When your home insurance renews, your home will shift from being insured for an unspecified replacement cost to being insured for up to a maximum specified amount. This amount is called a Home Sum Insured.
Find out more at need2know.org.nz.
- Download our home comprehensive insurance policy
- Download our homepack comprehensive insurance policy
This is only a summary of the benefits provided. There are exclusions and limits to the cover we provide. For details of the cover provided, please read the entire document carefully to understand what the relevant policy covers. Importantly, please note that conditions, exclusions, limits and sub-limits apply and this summary of benefits table may change at any time.
Please refer to the Homepack Comprehensive Insurance policy (PDF) or View our online brochure (PDF).