Step 1: Firstly, get in touch with us and tell us what’s happened. We’ll talk with you about the issues and try and resolve them together. You can do this by calling us on 0800 80 24 24, or Chat to us on Facebook

Step 2: If, after talking to us, we haven’t been able to reach a resolution together, you can ask to speak to a team leader. If none are available at the time, we’ll arrange for one to call you back urgently.

Step 3: After discussing your concerns with a team leader, you’re still unhappy with the outcome, please write to or email our Manager of Customer Support.

In your email or letter, please outline what’s happened and what outcome you’d like to see, and we will attempt to resolve this for you. Please include your address and phone number.

By mail:
Manager - Customer Support
State Insurance
Private Bag 92130
Victoria Street West
Auckland 1142

By email:

After you have sent your email or letter, we will:

  1. Acknowledge your complaint within five working days.
  2. In most cases investigate and resolve your complaint within two weeks. If this is not possible, we will advise you of progress within 10 working days. We will tell you within 2 months if we are unable to resolve your complaint.
  3. If, after completing steps 1-3, your complaint has still not been settled to your satisfaction through our internal complaint procedure, you can:

Approach the Insurance & Financial Services Ombudsman Scheme (IFSO Scheme)

State is a member of the IFSO Scheme. This is a completely independent authority that will carry out an impartial investigation of any complaint coming within the IFSO Scheme’s Terms of Reference.

How to contact the IFSO Scheme:

By phone: 0800 888 202
Write to: PO Box 10845, Wellington

Important: You need to refer the matter to the IFSO Scheme within three months after you receive the final response to your complaint under States’s internal complaints process. You will also need a letter from State advising that your complaint is “deadlocked”. We will provide you with this letter when we can no longer assist you with your complaint.